The Science to Policy (S2P) Program will help bridge the gap between scientific discovery and policy formation at UC Riverside by organizing workshops, seminars, curricula, and networking opportunities for graduate students in the sciences and engineering. The program aims to explore how UCR can be a leader in “science speaking to policy,” building on the strengths we have in academic and research programs in the sciences while also creating new connections to the social sciences, particularly in public policy.
Students in the S2P program will gain insights into:
- Policy making processes at the federal and state level
- Where and when scientist input is valuable
- How a scientist can become part of the policy making process
- Communication and other skills necessary for scientists to work effectively with policy makers
- Opportunities for professional development at UCR, including the Designated Emphasis in Public Policy